This special report in the World Energy Outlook series takes up this question in a full and comprehensive update of the energy investment picture to 2035.
With benchmark data on past investment trends and updated projections for investment at regional and global level, the report provides insights into:
• the structure of ownership and models for financing investment in different parts of the energy sector;
• where investment in the power sector might fall short of what is required, with important findings on the reliability of electricity supply in Europe and in India;
• the outlook for investment in low-carbon technologies, including renewables, and energy efficiency, and the barriers to their realization;
• the continued importance of oil investment in the Middle East to meet demand, and the consequences of delay in such investment;
• the dynamics and costs of liquefied natural gas investment and how this can shape the future of global gas supply.
Finally, it will be shown how global investment and financing requirements change if governments take stronger action to address climate change.